Friday, January 28, 2011

Bear V. Shark V. Eagle speed-paint!

Yesterday morning, Dave Maas invited the Art Evolved crew to a Speed Paint challenge, based on questions posed to the extremely useful (and oftentimes unintentionally amusing) website Ask a Biologist. For the unfamiliar, a Speed-Paint is a quick digital (or not) painting finished within a half-hour or less.

For this week's game, I chose this question, because who could resist? "Who would win, a harpy eagle or a grizzly bear?" With this question for the ages and the memory of an excellent satirical book that is more than a little tangentially related in mind, I spent twenty minutes on this:

Whoever wins, we lose...

I will confess I cheated a tiny bit: I just had to double-check on what a Harpy eagle looks like. Wound up mostly going from my memory anyway.

(NOTE: Simulposted at my blog. Also, I apologize for the hugeness; I have since re-sized it. Hopefully, you can click it to see the big version.)

4 comments:

davidmaas said...

Nice!
That question is so... perfect. Makes me think: where's the headless gorilla? What about the lion?
LoL!

Trish said...

I resisted the urge to draw the poor headless gorilla (the question also poses whether a Harpy Eagle can decapitate large Hominids. The answer is no, which is good, because a giant flyer that can tear your head off before you knew what hit you is the stuff of nightmares.) Then again, the bear wound up looking more than a little like Chewbacca, so...

Glendon Mellow said...

The cartooniness is fun but what makes this for me is the "land vs sea vs air!".

I was just at a monster truck jam last weekend and this would've fit right in.

davidmaas said...

Using references isn't cheating by the way. I just avoid painting on them or picking the colors directly, rather just have them off to the said as visual refs.

Want to see if we can start a Friday speed paint? We can have open or changing topics based on new finds or species. One idea i have is getting a scientist to provide a skull and we all do reconstruction paints off of it.
Like?