Thursday, February 24, 2011

Help Out PhyloPic!

There's a new biology/palaeonotology art resource site on the block, and it is pretty neat. Called PhyloPic, this new site collects silhouettes of any and all animals (and plants I believe, though I haven't seen any submitted yet) living or extinct for use by anyone who might need them. Whether they need it for a technical paper or simply an educational or popular project, the idea is that there be a database of freely available images anyone can use.




I personally think this is great (especially as a teacher), and have already thrown in a contribution this morning learning of the site. I present to you my Tylosaurus/Taniwhsaurus, complete with new and improved tail fluke (this is based on direct input and collaboration with a Mosasaur expert I might add).

As this was remarkable easy to create, I set a challenge for everyone who reads ART Evolved to create at least one silhouette for PhyloPic a month. With at least 60 known contributors to our site, that adds up to 700 new critters on their site a year!

If you're interested in helping, but don't think it would be easy to create these silhouettes, I can prepare a quick and easy tutorial on just how, well, quick and easy these are to put together. Let me know if you'd be interested in the comment section.

4 comments:

Trish said...

Great idea Traumador! I would very much appreciate a tutorial on silhouettes, as they are as hard for me to produce as they are to spell.

David Tana said...

I second the motion! They way you go about it is probably a lot more straightforward than the way I would.

Mo Hassan said...

I've just submitted one, and getting the bug, so I expect I'll put off my dictionary research for even longer while I silhouette-ise everything!

Mike Keesey said...

Thanks for the plug! I'm really excited about this project, and can't wait to see how long it takes to hit 1000 silhouettes (or "phylopics" as some people have started calling them).

"(and plants I believe, though I haven't seen any submitted yet)"

There is actually one, for Tracheophyta. PhyloPic is meant to be for all life forms, so don't feel limited to vertebrates! (Although I expect the database will always be vertebrate-heavy.)