Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Greetings! from my Version of Planet Earth

Alright, let's talk about the elephant in the room. And by "elephant in the room," I mean "strange new member whose profile is suddenly on the ART Evolved blog." For those of you who spend your time scanning this blog with a fine tooth comb (as I have been known to do), you might be wondering who I am. And for those of you who didn't notice me there and this is the first you've heard of me, you might want to locate your fine tooth comb, because this is one awesome blog; you wouldn't want to miss anything.

So, who am I? You can read a quick overview on my new shnazzy bio on the sidebar, but there really is more than a couple sentences to who I am- I swear. As an artist, I'm a graduate of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts where I received a certificate in Printmaking. I also have an art degree from the University of Pennsylvania. Somewhere along the way during my journey at Penn, however, I got distracted by Earth studies and became enamored with geology and dinosaurs (although to say that I wasn't enamored with dinosaurs and using them in my art before I started at Penn would be a lie). Turned out I wasn't too bad in that field, either, so I picked up geology/paleontology and received a minor in that, too.

I could wax poetic about my philosophy on art or dinosaurs or the study of paleontology. Or I could just show you some of my work. Seems unfair not to give you something visual at this point. This is a paleoart blog after all! This is a drawing that I prepared especially for my debut on ART Evolved:

It's a simple pencil drawing on paper, although it's not done. It's based on one of my recent digital pieces:
Ultimately, as I have written on my blog, I see dinosaurs... EVERYWHERE. They're always lurking around in my brain, chewing on something or telling me they want to be turned into art.

However, if you're not into the marriage of dinosaurs and curiosity/cuteness that is so prevalent in my work, you might enjoy my more traditional work:
This image is also graphite on paper, about 2 inches by 3 inches. I'd show you more of my old school style work, but the illustrations I'm working on now are top secret. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Isn't that cool?!

Finally, if you feel like it just isn't cute enough yet, or even if you're doubting my commitment to create dinosaurs in every medium with every possible bizarre/cute twist, let me show you something I made at my work at Whipped Bakeshop:
I'm aware that the creature on the left is not a dinosaur. Under the guidance of my awesome boss and bakery owner Zoe Lukas, I work as a pastry artist who is lucky enough to enjoy executing the rare but awesome dinosaur pastry order. While I made the dinosaur and pig on top, the cake work beneath is all the work of Zoe and my co-workers (also artists).

I'm really glad to be here at ART Evolved and want to express my gratitude to Craig for extending the invitation, and to all the other amazing artists here, some of which I have come to be good cyber friends with, for allowing me into your community. I hope to post whenever my busy schedule allows, and if you get a craving for some of that cutesy Jenn Hall Art, please pop on over to my blog http://www.dinosauriart.blogspot.com/,where I feature not only my own work, but also the awesome places dinosaurs pop up in pop culture and indie artwork. And if you wanna see some of my non-dinosaurian art (mostly non-dinosaurian anyway), you can visit my website at http://www.jennhallart.mosaicglobe.com/, and, as always, any questions you might have can be sent to my email at wigwam1516@yahoo.com.

Nice to meet you all!

~ Jenn Hall