Saturday, October 31, 2009

Transitional ART Forms: October 2009

Time for the second installment of...

This time for the month of October 2009. This was a slightly slower month then last one, but then again I had my pick of the crop for older then September posts and pieces for the first installment. We'll have to learn together whether there are busy and/or slow months for palaeo-art on the web.
`

I will quickly say in advance that this particular Transitional ART Forms is very heavily biased towards my own web browsing sites and locations, and as of such I most certainly have missed some great art. I'm humbly asking all of ART Evolved's members, readers, and casual visitors to keep their eyes open for Palaeo-art during their surfing, and simply fire off the links of any you find to artevolved@gmail.com. I have no problem following it up from there, but I can't add something if I don't know it is there.
`

With that in mind this month you'll notice a large body of 3D work from the online communities I'm involved in. To any 3D artists who visit from those same sites, but whose Dinosaur related art was not included here, I have had to make a few cut offs. I potentially could have posted another 20ish pieces, but in the end decided not to as the models and/or shaders in those pieces were not created by the "artist" who posted it. Though I am not opposed to people purchasing available models, I do not feel comfortable claiming that someone who simply reposes and renders someone else's hard worked model as them self the true artist behind the piece . I will likely be doing up a more extensive article on my philosophy behind this reasoning, but I state it now for any who might take offense.


Undoubtedly October's most productive and prolific artist has to be Mo Hassan. Not only did he manage to draw 24 Sauropods in 12 hours, but he also managed to bring us 5 more letter installments of his A-Z of British wildlife!

Brad McFeeters noticed a lack of coverage, and especially reconstructions, of the new primitive Chinese Tyrannosauriod Sinotyrannus kazuoensis and decided to remedy the problem himself!


Speaking of new Tyrannosaurs, Zach Miller produced this rather lovely portrait of Alioramus altai.

Over on Etrilobite our hero Walcott started off with a bit of a mystery, that has now resolved with a record number of cartoon Trilobites in one place (well at least I'm making that claim!).
Over on The Tyrannosaur Chronicles, Traumador the Tyrannosaur has some new and old coelurosaur adversaries to worry about in his new adventure...

Paleoartist presents us with Xenacanthus preys upon Dipnorhynchus

japa has an entire series of pieces depicting Dinosaur reproduction. While a very interesting concept I opted to keep ART Evolved's PG rating, so if you want to see these pieces you can here, there, here, and there. I could over post this lead in piece to this series, of two Tyrannosaurs falling in love.

Among japa's other great works was this dromeosaur trying to kill a little mammal I had to post.

MNArtist has been working up a storm creating new textures and colour patterns for the commercially available 3D Tyrannosaur by Dinoraul. This is his family of Tyrannosaurs to demonstrate his new range of colours.

Though MNArtist has posted quite a few variant colour schemes he is working on (for sale soon I believe) this Kingfisher inspired Tyrannosaur hit a cord with me.

So what has the guy who built those Tyrannosaurs been up to himself? Dinoraul has been producing at his usual rate of at least one new prehistoric creature a week, and this month the highlights were a Deinonychus here...


(by Dinoraul) and finally a Skorpiovenator here. Though he had 2 more that you can check out by clicking on Dinoraul's name.


David Maas gives us a preview of his Plagiosternum.



Though it has been out for a while now, T. Tischler's impressive restoration of Australovenator is still making the rounds in the palaeo-blogging community.

Mark Witton was responsible for this picture of the new transitional Pterosaur Darwinopterus modularis that has become (by my count anyway) the most used palaeo-art image of the month!

My personal favourite piece of palaeo-art (like my opinion matters) was this restoration of Alioramus altai by Jason Brougham.



Palaeontologist Brian Beatty gives us a preview of his collaboration with Palaeo-artist Carl Buell to reconstruct a new species of Behemotops.

David Maas presents a very interesting and thought provoking look at how different mediums used in Palaeo-art can effect the viewers interpretation and acceptance of the animals restored within them. Hopefully he will consider an expanded article here on ART Evolved.