Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lucy's Homemade Fossils

The amazing Lucy Walsh shares with us her homemade fossils!


Hi, thought I'd send ART Evolved my homemade fossils!

I started this as a little experiment to try to see how fast I could colour match the fossils I made with the real thing. I started out by making a cast of two of my fossils from my collection. Having never used this before, apart from on the kid's hands which you know will wash off!, I was worried the liquid that sets into a mould would damage my precious fossils, but it worked beautifully and only cost 99p from a cheap craft shop! So I filled the mould with plaster of paris and then when it was dry started painting my fake fossils.

It took me about two hours to paint both fossils, and give them a matt varnish, and I was quite pleased with the outcome!!


The next day I took them to my sisters house as a gift, and a test! I put them on her worktop and said that they were a present for her. She didnt know they weren't the real thing, until she picked them up!!! Mission accomplished!

Great fun, easy, cheap and effective! Well worth a go!!!

Kind Regards,
Lucy Walsh.

See more of Lucy's work at her blog and in her deviantArt gallery.