Monday, December 7, 2009

potential of 3D; skeletal reconstructions

The graphic skeletal reconstructions done by artists such as Gregory Paul, Scott Hartmann, Archosaurian and Dinomaniac has always inspired me in a way that life restorations and scenic representations - as beutiful as they are - can't achieve. Creating a 3D reconstruction from these however is often frustrating. It reveals the gaps in my knowledge and often even the gaps in everyone's knowledge. So inspired to create a cleanly graphic skeletal reconstruction in 3D that offers another dimension's worth of information but without proporting to be more than what it is... a reconstruction. My goal was a clearly stylized reconstruction that 1) looks good and 2) presents the information available (but not more) in as clear a way as possible.
As the PrehistoricTimes theme is Stegosaurus and a good friend of mine's daughter loves exactly that dinosaur, I thought - I'll give it a go. 3 days later I present you with the results.

I already see loads of things I want to tweak, but I want to share this exploration and get some feedback. There are two stylistic themes, one based on the graphic skeletal reconstructions I linked earlier - and I think my favorite. Very graphic and bold. But the second has some merit as well... volume is more readable. Like? Don't like? Improvements?

Here's a close-up of the skull, mouth open. The teeth fit right into each other in the shearing motion proposed in literature. This promises to be a great way of communicating the differences and relationships between clades, and I can't wait to try my hand at animating this guy, then revealing the underlying skeleton. Of course, it needs to be rigged first....


note: put up some thoughts about the npr nature of this at my blog.

5 comments:

Hence72 said...

excellent work folks

Chandrika Shubham said...

Quiet interesting art it is! Congrates on being blogs of note.
Best wishes.

Jess said...

Big fan of the stegosaurus it's my favorite dinosaur so I especially like this its very well done :]

Jess said...

Big fan of the stegosaurus it's my favorite dinosaur so I especially like this its very well done :]

Mike Keesey said...

Very cool -- the translucent volume works really well.